Welcome to The Municipality of West Grey

Government :: Departments :: Building & Planning

Building & Planning

Address:50 Lorne St Markdale ON

Joint Building Services Group

West Grey is a member of the Joint Building Services Group, a service partnership between the Municipality of Grey Highlands and the Township of Chatswoth.

A Building Official is in the West Grey municipal office every Monday and Thursday and can be reach at 519.369.2200 x.234.

You can also meet with Building staff weekdays at 50 Lorne Street in Markdale, or contact them by phone at 226-909-0668. or by email to building @greyhighlands.ca.


The primary role of the Building Department is to promote and assist development in compliance with Federal, Provincial, County and local regulations. Building codes ensure that structures are safe, not only for today but for many years to come.

A building permit is your formal permission to begin construction or demolition. It means that the Municipality of West Grey has approved plans for any new structure, addition or renovation. Approved plans must comply with the Ontario Building Code, local zoning by-laws, and other applicable laws and regulations. Building permits regulate types of construction allowed in the community and ensure that building standards are met. The building permit process protects each homeowner’s interests, as well as those of the community at large, and provides for the erection of safe structures. Permits help ensure that any structural change is safe, legal and sound.

Severance & Planning

For Severance & Planning information, please contact Mark Turner, Clerk, Municipality of West Grey at 519-369-2200x.229 or by email to mturner@westgrey.com.


To determine the zoning designation on a property (permitted uses), please view the Zoning Schedules. Please click here.

Related Bylaws


Bylaw 73-2016 Trailer Licensing By-law

29-2016 Building & Planning Fees & Guide


19-2015 Development Charges By-law


51-2011 Building Permit Fees

Building Bylaw


Enclosures and Gates - Swimming Pools

Related Downloads

Fees & Services

Forms & Applications

General Documents

Planning Information

Related Links

  • Ontario One Call
    Before you dig, contact Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 anytime, 7 days a week and 24 hours a day, at least 5 working days in advance. For your convenience, Enbridge Consumers Gas, Bell and other Utilities are members of Ontario One Call. When you telephone One Call, it will notify the participating members in your area on your behalf or they will advise you if there are any utilities you have to contact directly.
  • Build Right Ontario
    Energy Efficiency Checklists for Part 3 Buildings and Part 9 Non-Residential Buildings